Friday, November 11, 2011

Lost and Found - Mostly Lost?



In my experience in traveling, I have seldomly recovered items left behind. If my experiences are indicative of any trends, most hotels invest little effort on organizing an effective lost and found process. The most common experience these days is being transferred to a "lost and found" voice mailbox, in which you are forced to leave my verbal plea for the return of your item. I believe a good lost and found department is a hotel's best PR (public relations) tool. It develops trust with the guests and its followed by them telling others about the honesty and integrity of the hotel. On the contrary, once a lack of trust is built, gaining it back could be harder than convincing your guests to come back after they checked into a dirty room. I would like to get statistics on which hotel brands perform the best when it comes to Lost and Found Department. If I were to guess, the industry Stalwarts like Marriott, Starwood, and Hilton might be near the top, while sloppy Franchises, namely Choice and Wyndham products are near the bottom.

1 comment: