Monday, October 31, 2011

Hospitality Service much better in India?


During my last visit to India, I opened my eyes to how hospitality products and services should be managed. I was really taken aback. Coming from North America, I see hotels in India as true leaders in the industry, and there's a lot that can be learned.
The service there is outstanding. I stayed at the Courtyard in Mumbai, and was treated like royalty starting from the bell man to the room service attendant. Even when some requests are not honored, the employees inform with a humble apology on their face. They do not expect a tip, as do North American employees. The norm in America, as I have seen countless amount on times is if you dont tip good, the employees treat you bad. While in America, you might hesitate to confront your server about getting cold food in fear of bad service or a frown from the server, the same can not be said in India. Your attendant empathises with you, and even when a unreasonable guest is demanding, they keep their calm and make the situation right. Their behaviour was so genuine that even I would be a happy with a average product. I guess it comes from the great Indian norm, treat all guests like family. May all Americans learn from this.

No comments:

Post a Comment